Open to all Graduate Students
If you’ve considered starting a new business, or growing an existing firm, now is a great time to act on your entrepreneurial drive. Improve your chances of success with a graduate certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (GCEI) from the UNLV Lee Business School.
The GCEI Certificate is an inter-disciplinary program for entrepreneurs with a variety of passions – not just business. It is designed to instill entrepreneurial thinking, knowledge, and skills for anyone interested in new business formation and growth.
The 12 credit certificate is comprised of four graduate level classes covering feasibility analysis, business plan creation, marketing fundamentals, raising capital and ongoing operations, as well as elective topics to enhance your personal or professional development.
Total Credits Required: 12
Required Courses – Credits: 6
- MGT 709 – New Venture Feasibility. This course provides an introduction to the fundamentals of entrepreneurship. It emphasizes the development of a feasibility analysis as students choose business opportunities to pursue in an industry. Through lectures, case analyses, class pitches, and feasibility analyses, we will explore a set of tools and techniques for identifying and evaluating new entrepreneurial opportunities in technology entrepreneurship, social entrepreneurship, corporate entrepreneurship and other types of entrepreneurship.
- MGT 710 – New Venture Creation. This course walks students through the process of starting a new entrepreneurial venture, from ideation to execution. Through lectures, guest talks, class pitches, and business plan presentations, students will acquire skills in developing and managing successful new ventures and gain hands-on experience in starting new ventures. The course will cover important aspects of new venture creation such as market and customers, value proposition and product development, competition, marketing and sales, monetization, financial projections, organization, operations, financing and law.
Prerequisites for both courses: cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
Strategy & Technology Courses – Credits: 3-6
Complete 3 to 6 credits from the courses below:
- MBA 767 – Market Opportunity Analysis
- MIS 764 – Technology and Innovation Management
- MIS 778 – Technology Innovation and Feasibility Analysis
- MKT 737 – New Service and Product Development
Elective Course – Credits: 0-3
Students completing only 3 credits in Strategy & Technology must complete one graduate level class (3 credits) from the Lee Business school or other graduate level class with advisor approval.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:*Graduate courses offered outside the Lee Business School may be accepted at the discretion of the Program Director. Interdisciplinary courses may have additional prerequisites. Course admittance approvals are at the discretion of the respective professor and department.
Admission requirements include:
- An undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.00
Fall Admission – July 31
Spring Admission – November 15
To apply for admission to the Certificate program you must apply for admission through the Graduate College as a Degree-Seeking Student. You will need to upload copies of your undergraduate transcripts, your resume, and a letter of purpose outlining your interest in the program as part of your application process.